Given the educational offer and the variety of universities, this article makes general references with respect to the rate trends of universities. Each student must carefully consult
the sections dedicated to “costs and funding” of the university that you intend to attend and the course you are applying for, in order to know exactly how the university deals with the subject and to avoid unpleasant episodes.
The UK bachelor’s degree for international students has a common starting base ranging from £ 12,000/£ 13,000
up to £30,000
per academic year. Food and accommodation are NOT included.
Fees may vary according to the field of study or according to:
- Prestige of the university: the more popular and internationally recognized the university is, the higher the fees will be;
- Location: if the university is located in a large city or in a famous location, the price tends to rise;
- International ranking: the higher the university is in international rankings, the higher the fees for the courses it offers;
- <Acclaimed professors: some universities can boast a highly respected faculty, made up of important names. This leads the university cost to rise.
- Internationally recognized research areas: the more the university is recognized for its research/development activities and the more important its scientific center is, the more it will tend to have higher costs than other universities.
Masters’ fees have never been fixed for all courses and universities, as was the case for three-year degrees. Despite this, European students still enjoyed discounted rates compared to international students, that is, those not from countries belonging to the European Union.
Generally, the UK’s international student master’s has a starting base ranging from £ 8,407
and up. Food and accommodation are NOT included.
It isnìt excluded that universities decide to lower fees or provide ad hoc scholarships for international students, in order to limit the damage of Brexit. For example, Oxford Brookes University has established that European students who start a bachelor’s or master’s degree program in 2021 will receive a £ 4,000
fee reduction for each year of study (in the case of a bachelor’s degree the scholarship total amounts to £ 12,000).
It is no longer possible to give a single answer that applies to all cases, it is necessary to carefully consult the sections dedicated to costs and funding on the website of the universities that interest you most. It is also important to find out if there are financial benefits or subsidies for students.
Apply for a scholarship
It is very difficult to get a scholarship in the UK. Plus, they don’t cover all the expenses related to the student’s life but are intended more as economic aid to pay for accommodation, food, and school expenses. In a nutshell: a scholarship will not be enough for you to study and live in the UK.
To make up for this lack, the study visa allows you to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week, with an hourly wage that can range from 8 to 10 pounds.